Monday, November 3, 2014

Coffeeneuring Ride No. 5: Dolcezza (Bethesda, MD location)

Where: Dolcezza
  • Address: 7111 Bethesda Ln., Bethesda, MD
  • Website: http://dolcezzagelato.com
  • Bike friendliness: Bike racks along Bethesda Row; store is small and crowded, but maybe a table towards the rear would accommodate a folding bike
  • Other notable information: Dolcezza has Stumptown Stubby on the menu; I didn't know what it was, but apparently it's bottled cold brew coffee. 

Date: Sunday, November 2, 2014

Drink: Latte

Total Mileage: 6.2 miles overall (3.1 miles Home to Dolcezza)

Photo Verification:
I have a theory that committed Italian gelato and pizza places
by extension should have good coffee
Ride Notes

Since I went down into DC yesterday, I figured I would change it up and go up to Bethesda today. I had read in my online searching that Dolcezza is not only a fine gelateria, it also makes good coffee, and they had a Bethesda location that I'd never been to. Plus, there was a yarn store down the street I wanted to stop by.

I knew that it was chilly and windy out (I actually rode out to run other errands earlier in the day) but that still didn't prepare me for the wind gusts! Maybe it seemed stronger because I was going slightly uphill and therefore it felt like I was fighting a headwind. At one point I drove through a swirl of dead leaves, which I enjoyed despite the the cold air burning my lungs. What's funny is that later during my ride I saw someone using a leaf blower--what was the point? 

Anyway, I got to Dolcezza, and it was a small space, so I decided I would try locking my Brompton (which I've only maybe done one other time). As you can see below, it was not a great parking job. I should have put my bike on the other side of the rack, so that the front wheel could rest on the ground as opposed to hitting the weird bar a the bottom. It took an embarrassing length of time to lock up my bike and then remove the unsecured bits, so I decided I would just take my seat with me. I was reminded of why I mostly just fold the Brompton and take it with me (besides fear of it getting stolen). Actually, if I didn't also have my front basket, I would have just taken it in the store with me.

Somehow sad and awkward parked Brompton
I'm glad I did bring my basket though, because I found out that Dolcezza sold coffee mugs (see below), and so I was able to add to my stock. Also, I passed the salon with my preferred shampoo/conditioner and remembered that I was out, so I ended up getting a couple of large bottles. I had already unlocked my Brompton though so I just rolled it into the front entry unfolded; the bottles were right at the front by the tiled floor, and anyway I was already having to pay a lot for this stuff, I figured why not? (though I was very apologetic and tried to get out of there as soon as possible; people thought my bike was cool/cute though) 

Anyway, not a warm ride, but one that reminds me that I have good gear for fall riding. In addition to the riding mitts I wrote about yesterday, I had just enough extra yarn to make this tube which sort of doubles as a snood and a headband (see below). I used it both ways over the weekend, and it appeared to be effective for both. It was sort of inspired by those Rapha merino drawcord hats that can also be used be worn around the neck, though I didn't have enough yarn for the full hat (despite what the yarn store lady said; I have a large head, I guess). In any case, it's always nice to have extra versatile layers for cold-weather riding.

Mug (for scale) says Dolcezza Gelato and Coffee

Route Notes

I have ridden the Capital Crescent/Georgetown Branch trail before, but never the tunnel that linked the two. When I was in this area not long ago, I saw the signs pointing to the tunnel, and when I was checking out Google Maps I thought I saw a way to exit the trail that would drop me off at the right spot on the other side of Wisconsin. So I figured I would follow the signs and see where the trail took me, since the worst that could happen was that I would have to get off the trail where I normally do on one of the routes I take when I bike commute home.

The tunnel is great for crossing Wisconsin Ave. and drops me off right where I want to be on either side! I may try out a new route for getting home from main campus now that I know about the existence of this tunnel. Though now I'm worried that this tunnel is going to disappear once the Purple Line is in place--I haven't been following that debate, but my ears automatically prick up when there's chatter about bike accessibility being affected.

Observation: The Capital Crescent/Georgetown Branch trail tunnel makes for a dramatic stage/setting, as evidenced by the teenage photo/video session (there were coordinated outfits and gold leggings involved) I interrupted during my ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment