Monday, April 14, 2014

Dry Run: Long Commute Home (Route 1)

I'm not a serious rider and usually do my transportation riding close to home, but I got it into my head that I would attempt the 15+ miles from work to home. Last summer I would do the multi-modal commute on the Brompton to cover the ~3.25 miles between the Metro and work, but I had never done the full commute. I actually envisioned doing this next year after the Betty is built up, but D pointed out that Bromptons are capable of handling the distance even when loaded down with gear--people have even toured with them. So, with D's support, some advice from a committed long-distance bike commuter colleague, and the promise of a nice weekend, I decided I would attempt a "dry run" (terminology per my colleague).

The ride was also a good opportunity to try out the Cellet phone mount for my bike that D got me last Christmas, and the Map My Ride app. Before, if I didn't want to take the route that Google gave me, I would have to print out a map that I could refer to it on my ride. Now that I have the phone mount and the app, I could pre-set my route and then follow it on the app as I rode. It's not quite turn-by-turn directions, but it's a much better setup than what I had before (through I do love printed maps).
At my starting point, fully equipped for my dry run
I had planned on riding only one way of the commute, and my colleague wisely advised me to take the Metro up to work, then ride my bike from the Maryland side and down to DC. Good thing too, because although I survived the day's roughly 20 miles of riding (a lot for me), my legs were dead tired by the end of it. A day later, neither my legs nor my backside were noticeably sore, though I suspect I caught a cold. Overall, I'm glad I did the dry run, even though I don't know that I'll be doing the full commute on a regular basis anytime soon. 

Below the cut, my "ride" notes and my "route" notes for the two parts of my ride.


Metro to Work
Distance: 3.57 miles 

Since I needed to actually get to work as my starting point, I figured I would try a different route from the Metro than usual. There's currently construction along on the bike path that takes me the most direct route to work, so I have to either ride next to traffic, or take the sidewalk on the opposite side where I'm vulnerable to people turning left or people coming out of driveways to turn right but not paying attention to me. I'd be glad to find an alternative route.

Ride notes
The most memorable part of this ride was the Canada goose who was walking slowly along the main road, stopping traffic in the right lane until it wandered into the bike path. It ignored me as I passed it.

Route notes
It's definitely longer than the route I've been taking, but it's potentially more peaceful since the path is paved and runs alongside less busy roads. Also, because there aren't as many crowded intersections, I might save time on traffic lights. I don't know what it's like during work mornings though; there's parking along the bike lane near the shopping area that could be busy with cars pulling in and out.


Work to Home
Distance: 15.7 miles

The big event! I have to say, I'm so glad that rode going from MD to DC (i.e. "downhill") and not the other way around, because I'm not sure I would have been able to manage it at my current fitness level. My prevailing thought for the afternoon was, "I hope I make it home before my phone battery dies."

Ride notes
The ride was decent, but I think that not necessarily knowing where I was going and constantly checking my map took some of the fun out of the ride. Also, the combination of wind and sun and slightly cooler temps than expected made it hard for me to regulate my temperature. With my light jacket on, I was warm, but with just the long sleeve shirt, I was chilled. I think this contributed to the headache-y/cold feeling I had the next morning. I could probably have stood to drink more water (which I had, but I didn't drink), and I should probably have brought snacks though I was fine for the most part. Still, I was glad to get home when I did.

Route notes
The route blurs together in my mind, but I think I can divide it into roughly four parts:
  1. Carl Henn Millenium Parkway (Wooton Parkway)
  2. Tower Oaks Blvd. / Montrost Parkway Trail / Executive Blvd.
  3. Bethesda Trolley Trail / NIH Perimeter Trail
  4. Downtown Bethesda
Somewhere in the middle
1. Carl Henn Millenium Trail (Wooton Parkway)
On the one hand, this is a nice clear paved trail, with generally pleasant surroundings for most of it. The main issue with this path when heading home is that it is intercut by entrances into different neighborhoods, where people turning right out of the neighborhood aren't looking for you if you are coming from the right, and people turning left into the neighborhood aren't watching for you either. This seems like it would be a better route in the morning, with the downside that it's all uphill.

Though this was probably the most enjoyable leg of the ride, it did have my least favorite intersection: Wooton Parkway and Falls Road. The intersection by itself is huge, and to get across the path you have to contend with people who want to turn left and people who want to turn right as you are trying to make it across.

2. Tower Oaks Blvd. / Montrose Parkway Trail / Executive Blvd.
This was probably the least scenic leg of the ride, and the one that requires the most sidewalk riding (re-iterating for me that I don't really enjoy riding on sidewalks). I don't have much to say about it, except that I hope to find a way to avoid it. 

3. Bethesda Trolley Trail / NIH Perimeter Trail
I rode the entire length of this trail, which seemed to stretch on longer than it actually is. I think this was because it's full of people on a nice weekend. I have the world's least intimidating bike, but I still feel bad pinging my bell to signal to people that I'm behind them and I would like them to get out of the way. My colleague tells me that this trail is very busy on weekday evenings as well, so the crowd is par for the course. Regardless, it's a great resource for riding through Bethesda, and I was always curious about that path over I-270.

My least favorite part of this trail was when it abuts Old Georgetown Road and people on the path have to ride the sidewalk, which is right next to the road. I had a close call with that guy who had 2x4's coming out of his back windows driving in the right lane.

The NIH perimeter trail is fine, but I think I would rather ride through campus itself. I imagine it's not great when there are a lot of people walking on it. there are also parts that are cut into the hill in a strange way.

4. Downtown Bethesda
By the time I was in downtown Bethesda, I knew I was in the home stretch but was still stressed about where I could go. It turns out that Arlington is not a great road to ride along on a busy afternoon (I imagine that's most afternoons in downtown Bethesda). Turning onto Bradley was even worse, since utility poles were placed in the middle of the sidewalk. I don't know that Woodmont is much better (though at least there's a bike lane), so I'll have to explore some other alternative.
Home at last!
So, I made it home, and now I know what stretches of road I wouldn't mind riding again, and which ones I'll have to replace. I also know that my bracket works very well (my phone made it home without falling off). The Map My Ride app is good too, though I need to figure out how to zoom in more since I turned too early a couple of times, not realizing I had another half block or so to go.

I have more to say about my take on bike commuting post-dry run, but this post is long enough, so I'll save those thoughts for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment