Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Po Campo Wristlet

I had been looking for a small bag for my Brompton for a while, to carry a phone, wallet, maybe a small set of tools when I didn't plan on carrying a larger bag. I checked out the mini O bag, but the price was too steep for the anticipated use. I also considered a canvas roll to use as a saddle bag, but I couldn't find one to see in person, and they have a tweedy aesthetic that isn't really my style. 

Enter the Po Campo wristlet, which I remember seeing online, but hadn't really considered. I was actually at the bike shop to check out some other bags, but they had just received these so they were featured up front:


I wasn't actually in the market for a handlebar bag given the Brompton's non-standard handlebar shape and fold, and I'd grown used to an underseat bag on my Globe, but the wristlet looked promising. I clipped it onto my bike and, lo and behold, it fit and it didn't interfere with the fold!


So I bought it on the spot and rode home with it. I hung the bag facing me, so that I could fold my bike without having to remove the bag. It was actually quite handy because I was mostly winging it on the streets, and had to pull out my phone every now and then to check where I was.


Of course, I hadn't completely given up on the idea of an underseat bag. The clip system on the wristlet could easily attach to the rails of my seat, but I thought the bag would cover my rear light. Then I realized that I could clip my light to the strap and position it in a way to make it visible, so now I can alternate bag placement.


I've had this bag for more than a month now, and it's mostly lived up to my expectations. I do have a few notes on my experience:
  • The zipper can be difficult to work around the corner of the bag, though on the plus side this means the contents are secure, even when the bag is upside-down on my folded handlebars.
  • When the bag is on my handlebars and loaded down, the metal clips rub against the brushed metal on the handlebars, marking them up. This is mostly a cosmetic issue, perhaps easily remedied by adjusting the bag position or not filling it up so much.
  • Placing the bag under my seat works well, but I haven't ridden around enough at night to assess if my rear light is functionally visible. I'll have to ask D to follow me and check it out. For now, I can rely on my helmet's rear light if need be. 
Overall, I'm happy with this wristlet, especially since I had not initially considered it when looking for a small Brompton bag. It's also cute and looks great on my bike, and that's almost as important as its functionality, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment